(A Flash Fiction Writing Session from The Safe House)
The day when millions return to the ‘3 Rs’ (the routine, rules and rituals of school) comes round all too regularly. Holidays over. Back you go!
Have you lived it? Did you love it? Did you dread it? Why? Why not? Do you remember what it was like? Here is a writing session about returning to school after the holidays …
All you have to do is write a short piece of fiction that ends with one of the sentences below.
And that was why she didn’t want to go back to school.
Or, in case this is your perspective
And that was why she couldn’t wait to get back to school.
Your piece should be fiction, but you can base it on your own experience. Or, if you haven’t been to school today, you could write about the experience of someone you know. On the other hand, you could write a piece that comes entirely from your own head using as much imagination as you can muster!
Use question words to help you think of what to write. For example:
- Who is the ‘she’ of the story?
- Who else is in the story?
- Why didn’t she want to go back to school?
- What did she want to do instead?
- Who did she talk to about it? Why?
- What did that person say?
- What did that person do?
- Where did she spend the day?
Word count and process
A minimum of 25 words and a maximum of 250 should just about do it. Of course, if you get a buzz and want to write more, that’s OK.
- Aim to take around 5 minutes thinking about your story then about 5 minutes writing a first draft.
- When that’s done, you should spend a bit more time proof-reading for possible spelling, punctuation and grammar problems and maybe a quick edit for meaning.
- If you spend 5 minutes doing that, you should have been creating and writing for about 15 minutes in total.
- Leave it for about half an hour and then come back for another go.
If you feel like it, or if you want some ideas about how you can develop what you have written, you could share it by sending it to The Safe House at:
Here at The Safe House we will give you feedback to support you in what you are creating!