Hello from The Safe House
The Safe House is now a Community Interest Company and we are really itching to get going on our projects.
We are looking for interested and interesting people who would like to work with us. If you want to be involved, read on ..
Qualifications, achievement and progress are often only conventionally recognised. The Safe House aims to support people to do well, even if they are not ‘conventional’ themselves. We bring particular and specialist experience and expertise to supporting people who are disadvantaged by the demands of attending school, college or university and in achieving recognised qualifications.
The Safe House is for young people aged 16 – 25 living in Leicester and Leicestershire who struggle or have struggled to reach their potential in institutionalised education. Our aim, as set out in the company’s articles of association, is to carry out activities which will benefit this particular section of our community and in particular, but without limitation to, “the advancement of education, the arts, culture and heritage, the promotion of human rights, equality and diversity and the relief of poverty and hardship through reasons of youth, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantage.”
Activity at The Safe House focuses on:
- advice and guidance for study, employment and empowerment.
- language, literacy and learning support.
- creative writing support.
- personal presentation skills development.
- stress-relief based therapy and counselling.
- teacher / facilitator workshops.
- provision of production, rehearsal and performance environments.
- online resources and opportunities.
- creative and innovative project development and delivery.
Follow the links below for information on projects currently under development:
- The Learning and Skills Drop-in Sessions
- Left Luggage
- The Cardboard Library
- My Name Is Not Sir
- The Flash Fiction Writing Sessions
- Young People’s Advocacy Scheme
- The Three Ball Juggling Club
- Intergenerational Skills Exchange
- Book Crossing Station
- Pre* – Proofreading and Editing Service
The Safe House is urgently seeking people; writers and readers, learners and teachers, screamers and whisperers, poets, musicians, jugglers and story tellers, for current and new projects. If you have skills in any area and would like to work with us, get in touch.
For more information on The Safe House, any of the projects listed, or to propose a project yourself, just fill in the form at the bottom of the page and we’ll send you details of how to get involved.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
This IS The Safe House
“We can take you to a better place.”